Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Cookies take three


So I tried cookies again, this time with the Nestle Toll House Recipe. This one is by far the best. I have a few recommendations as to what to change. Someone said I should use salted butter, another said to use crisco instead of butter. I might have to experiment some more... but not this week.. I'm on cookie overload! Have you noticed how much I love my fire engine red Kitchen Aid? I LOVE IT! My husband said he never knew anyone who had one in their house growing up and thought it was a bit excessive at first and then he realized how much I use it. :) Like.. every other week! I'm always finding excuses to bake things or mix things. Plus I love red kitchen things, don't you?



I'm not exactly sure what is different about this recipe than all the other ones that made it taste so good. It tasted way better and it stayed softer longer. I do know that at one point I was trying to half the recipe and I added two sticks of butter and thought.. oh shoot. I can't undo that. So I had to go back and fix what I messed up, at least it was before I added the dry ingredients.


I love how soft and silky it looks. This is making me want to make cookies again. I love to eat cookie dough but doesn't everyone? There is something that just looks so good about all of these pictures to me.



Here's my favorite part. This is the part that I get to eat :) While the rest of the dough cools. And yes I let it cool this time :)


Such cute little drops of cookie dough!


And the end result? Flat. Flat flat flat. But they tasted good and they were chewy which I like. What am I doing wrong to make them flat every time? Anyone have any guesses?

3 comments:

  1. OK Carrie, I've been reading your blog and have some thoughts on the cookies..Aunt Liz, many years ago messed with choc. chip cookies and came up with a recipe that works. Try this..
    1 cup butter
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup brown sugar...mix well and add
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla, mix and then add dry ingred.
    3 cups flour (I think this is the trick)
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    Add chips
    If my butter got too soft when I mixed the cookies up then I put the dough in the frig. otherwise I don't feel I have to. I have also learned I get better results if I cook at 300 instead of 350 but it takes longer. Good luck...I really worked at making good cookies and enjoyed feeling I was fairly successful at it. I have a good recipe for peanut butter cookie if you are ever interested in making those. It is a recipe that won a prize at the Minn. State Fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunt Nancy you are the best! Thanks so much for this info. I will try this out next time I'm making cookies... say... this weekend?! When you use butter do you use salted or unsalted?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use what ever we have but I think you are supposed to use unsalted...I don't know if it makes a big difference. I suppose someone who considers themselves a big hooty tooty baker can tell the difference but I can't..I really hope this recipe works.

    ReplyDelete