Sunday, November 1, 2009

Groceries, welcome to November!

I know I know, I've slacked in the grocery posting department lately. But last week I pulled out some really awesome food. My favorite meal was the steak (compliments of my mother!) with caramelized onion and mushrooms, blue cheese, and roasted butternut squash and brussel sprouts on the side. Doesn't that sound wonderful? Well it was. Plus I had the bright idea to line my roasting pans with tin foil and had an easy time cleaning up.

Alright, here goes it. A big grocery order today.

Ole Roy Dog Food :) still only $9 a bag, amazing!
Half Gallon Orange Juice (I'm stuffing vitamin C down our throats as I'm terrified of getting sick)
Gallon of 1% milk
Nature's Own WW Bread
Frozen Peas (can you believe that I couldn't find these in generic? wtf? I had to buy the expensive kind and it was almost $1.50!)
Frozen Broccoli
Frozen Carrots
Pie Crust (we're having chicken pot pie this week!)
Large Bag of frozen skinless boneless chicken breasts
Super Trim Beef Stew Meat (we're also having beef stew!)
Smoked Turkey Sausage (Don't tell Jaime it's not really pork)
Almond Joys... and Milk Duds (what, they were on sale for like $1 a bag plus we gave out ALL our candy last night so I need some thing to hold on to)
Sack of Potatoes (one of my favorite buys at the grocery store, something feels so natural and good about lugging around this item)
Can of Chicken Broth
Can of Beef Broth
Can of Kidney Beans (Jaime requested Red Beans and Rice.. I promise to get this right this time)
Can of Diced Tomatoes
Dill Pickles
Two Totino's Pizzas (I checked at Publix and yes, they are cheaper at Walmart.. why people don't get that is beyond me)
Yellow Onions (we're trying the yellow sweet kind instead of white, to see what my favorite is)
Celery Seed (like the most expensive small seed ever - it better taste good)
Bananas! Six of them! (HOLY CRAP bananas are down to 39 cents a pound)
Small Butternut Squash (They keep forever so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this)
One Green Bell Pepper
Garlic
Body Wash (generic of the Dove Body Wash)
2 Liter Caffeine Free Diet Coke (no calories and Jaime can drink it if it doesn't have caffeine!)

So there you have it, plus one mystery item listed on my receipt as 30oz CIN. I can't think that it has anything to do with cinnamon, plus it's 30 ounces? What on earth is that? It was only a dollar.. I'm not sure. If you have any clues feel free to remind me what.. oh.. I remember :) It's a cinnamon scented candle, Jaime's requested that we have something that smells like food in our kitchen. :)

Total: $68.87

Ok so I went over a little bit but there were things I wasn't planning on that got added on last minute. Candle, Pickles, Orange Juice and the Butternut squash. I think we'll live.

I'm very excited about the beef stew tomorrow, I think it will be great! And I hope that we have leftovers. I've also never made chicken pot pie but found a recipe that seems to be a favorite on allrecipes.com. I'm also hoping to make lots of different things with the butternut squash this fall/winter. They taste so good! And after Friday night's meal it was all I could do to not buy brussel sprouts again. I'm really glad to be branching out in my vegetables :)

Jaime's been playing video games all day long and both the dogs are curled up by him, one on each side. I really wish that we had just one more day in the weekend and as much as I enjoy teaching I am looking forward to the upcoming break. I'd like to spend some time tonight working on a quilting project but at the same time I really want to relax. Can't I view quilting as relaxing? I don't know. I am trying to put times to everything. For instance, tonight I'm going to quilt from 5-7. I've also promised to play Little Big Planet for at least 45 minutes with Jaime, so that could happen.. before or after that. I think it really helps me to have a time line for things.

In other news tomorrow morning is my duet at EWTN. I'm really excited about it but very nervous. I've been in lots of choirs but I've never really performed solo before (not counting church) so it's a pretty big deal for me. I think all the vocal majors that sing in the choir think I'm crazy, but I've never done this, so it's a big deal for me. We're singing Pie Jesu by Andrew Lloyd Webber and it's beautiful. Plus the girl that sings the woman's part (yes, I am singing the boy's part) does a wonderful job. I'm amazed at how easy it sounds for her. So if you're up for it, EWTN tomorrow morning at 7am central time. But I probably won't sing until 7:30ish.

My parents were visiting this weekend but only for a short time. I don't think I'm used to the whole... only get to see your parents a few days every few months. It just seemed so short. I think it's really difficult to go from living with someone your whole life to then hardly seeing each other at all. I'm doing a lot better with living in another state, farther away from my family, than I was when we first got married but it's still difficult. It's just always bitter sweet when we get together knowing that we won't be seeing each other again until Christmas. This is also the first year that I won't be going up north for the Taylor Family Thanksgiving. I'm a little nervous about this simply because I really need a vacation and I'm afraid that I won't get one. Who knows, maybe staying at home will actually be more relaxing?

I'm glad that it's November, that things are winding to a close, and that Halloween candy is super cheap right now.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Here's a butternut squash recipe that sounds good - you know me and the balsamic ; )
    Roasted Butternut Squash w/ Balsamic Vinegar Glaze
    Whisk together 2tsp kosher salt, 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 3 tbsp light brown sugar and 2 tbsp evoo. Peel the squash, cut into 1 inch cubes, and toss w/ the glaze. Roast at 425 for about 50 min. Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's goin to be yummy! I'll have to work that into our week's feasting :) I love you! And I love your balsamic obsession.

    ReplyDelete