Monday, November 2, 2009

Aunt's Cookies and Carrot Cakes and Halloween


Well my Aunt Nancy posted a reply to one of my never ending cookie entries with a suggestion to use my Aunt Liz's cookie recipe. So I am going to call this one the Aunt's Chocolate Chip Cookies since two aunts were responsible for me making these and they both deserve thanks. Thanks!

These cookies really turned out quite well and very much different than any others that I had made before. Someday I need to sit down and analyze each recipe but for right now blogging about the cookies is about as far as I go. Plus I'm an artist and artists aren't supposed to be organized or keep track of things right? Right. Well first off, this is the very first time I've ever had a dough ball up on me like this, unless it was for bread. So right off the bat we were off to a very interesting start. All the dough is right there bundled up around the stir-attachment-thingy.. what's that called? I'm sure that my mother told me at some point but right now for the life of me I can't remember.


I was even impressed with the way that the dough held it's shape when I put them on the now very familiar baking sheet. I also think that my photography skills are improving. I don't know what half the buttons on this camera do, and what the difference is between M, P, Auto, and Portrait are.. plus when Churchill was a puppy he kinda chewed my zoom.. then my scientist husband fixed it, as fixed as a gnawed on zoom can be. I think in a few years I should ask for a nice camera for Christmas.. a Nikon.. maybe then I'll know what the buttons mean.


The day that I made this cookie dough just happened to be the day before my parents came into town. We were celebrating both Jaime's and Dad's birthdays (Happy Birthday you wonderful people!). This also meant that I not only made cookies with my Kitchen Aid but I made a carrot cake and the frosting. Three different duties for the mixer! And goodness knows that it made my sink very very messy. But don't you worry you clean freaks out there, I cleaned it all up when I was finished..


On to the cookies! Check it out you guys! These cookies are way less flat that any of the other cookies, and I didn't even use shortening. I know Greta.. I know. These cookies were also by far the most delicious chocolate chip cookies that I have ever made and I think this recipe is a keeper. My husband however still thinks that my cookies are "the worst cookies he's ever tasted". It's a good thing he married such a strong willed woman because I happen to like these cookies and I don't think him saying something like that could ever stop me from making more of them. He can just watch me eat them instead of eating them himself. :) Love you Jaime! And it's totally ok that you don't like my cookies, I asked for the truth and you gave it :)


Well while these were baking I was frosting a cooled carrot cake. Messy job too. Plus it's been a while since I made a cake and it was late too.. so things got a little out of hand. One of the layers actually broke into about three pieces.. I made it the bottom :) And then to cover up any horrible job I did while frosting I put nuts on it. I think it turned out rather festive!




Oh, and then there is Halloween. Look at all this candy we bought for Halloween. Can you believe that trick or treaters actually took all of this candy? It's a good thing that Walmart has all the candy 50% off right now. Which means.. I restocked. What, candy lasts a long time. Plus I've had minimal amounts today. So there. We had a great time with our friends nearby. I ate the spiciest thing I've ever eaten and survived. I also watched the movie The Ring and yet again survived. Highlights of trick or treating were the adults dressed up as Batman and Cat Woman with their kids.. only the adults were just really really creepy and should not have been wearing such scandalous things in public. There were also a group of 10 or 11 year olds talking about the Jew of the group. I thought that Jew jokes were only allowed around adults but this kid apparently didn't get the memo. He kept talking about taxing us and then said that he would be back next month for the rest of the candy or something.


Very funny and very strange. I could go on but dinner is waiting as well as a hungry husband :) So Happy Halloween a few days late :) Oh and singing at EWTN went very well by the way, I was pleased indeed. And also pleased that my wonderful husband actually remembered and woke up early to hear me. I love him. And no I wasn't dressed up as anything, I just really really wanted pink hair. Not kidding.

5 comments:

  1. The carrot cake was wonderful! (Why didn't we remember to take some home with us?!?) But where were you hiding those cookies? Hmmmm?

    [miss you too!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother, I was hiding the cookies in my stomach. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the pics. of you with the pink wig and all the cookies and the baking process! yay! You look fantastic! Also, love the other posts of you and your 'Bamba shirt and more cookie baking! :) Awesome ~ awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted your meme assignment on my livejournal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are the cutest thing ever. Especially in the pink wig. So, you didn't tell us what was different about this cookie recipe. I'm dying to know :) And your carrot cake turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete