Monday, October 19, 2009

Cookies take two!


This time I did the Otis Spunkmeyer recipe that Rennai left on the previous blog entry. I followed the directions, even the crisco part.. that part I had issues with but I did it. Yeah, that's butter and crisco.. makes you feel a little bit sick when you think that you are actually eating that. I mean.. whatever. You wonder what makes food taste so amazing and then you feel like you're going to throw up when you find out. Kind of a catch twenty two isn't it? Maybe I should stick with the stuff that's already made in the grocery. Ignorance is bliss when it comes to saturated fats.


So I made some cookies! Here they are in prep looking as the recipe said they might, a bit oily. Strange description. The Pillsbury cookies were supposed to look fluffy but these are supposed to look oily? Pretty slick looking to me.
And oh my goodness do you have to even ask if I ate the dough? Of course I did. I immediately felt guilty and gross but not quite enough to entirely stop eating it. What?! It's cookie dough for crying out loud.


Here we go go go, into the oven. At this point they look very much like the pictures on the website. I had high high hopes (like I always do when making cookies). I know that these are going to be the cookies that make history. These are the cookies I'm going to make for my future children when they come home from school. I'll be in my homemade apron (doesn't everyone have one?) and they will run up to the doorstep and I'll have a plate in my hands and hand them... wait. These look just like the cookies I just made. These don't look light and fluffy and they certainly haven't "kept their shape" like the recipe promised. I had high hopes Otis Spunkmeyer, I had really high hopes and you dashed them.

That's right. These cookies although soft (they did stay soft longer than the Pillsbury - I'm assuming it's the crisco *cringe*) tasted like bread. COOKIES SHOULD NOT TASTE LIKE BREAD.

My next question to you faithful readers is this. Should I be using unsalted butter? I thought that you always used unsalted butter in baking since the recipes always call for salt separately and if you add in the salted butter it's like adding in salt twice right? Is this where I'm going wrong?
I've got a friend who's going to give me her recipe. I might be able to try this again.

4 comments:

  1. seriously- use the Nestle Tollhouse Recipe. And try them on a baking stone instead of a cookie sheet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo a baking stone. I do have one of those..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unsalted butter will make them bland (unless the recipe specifically calls for it and then has added salt). You should also try a silpat silicon mat... miracle worker for baking (for those flat cookies). Google it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to tell you that I also bake all my cookies on my stones.

    ReplyDelete