Monday, October 5, 2009

The Chocolate Shoe


This is the story of the chocolate shoe. I'm not even kidding. A while back if you will remember, the day before my birthday, I hosted the local RAPPAS (still don't know what that means) meeting here at my place of work. My amazing boss let me use the recital hall with the most expensive pianos being played that evening. It was wonderful. People liked my food, I played well, and even my loving adoring husband came to hang out. (It should be noted that I am not nearly this huge in real life. It just so happens that everyone else in this picture is smaller than average.)

There was one couple I'll call the Jones since all I can think of when I think of them is the saying "keeping up with the Jones". They are older and super super wealthy, I'm talking about the kind of person dreams are made of wealthy. They might actually be one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest families in Birmingham. Not that I needed to know this or anything. Well they called to RSVP and even though they hardly ever play they always attend. Except the night I hosted! I didn't think much of it. Mr. Jones seems to be ill and getting around appears a bit challenging. I figured they weren't feeling well and I wasn't worried about it at all.



Until Mrs. Jones shows up at my place of work to apologize to me with... a chocolate shoe. My first thought was, you really don't have to apologize for anything, it wasn't a sit down dinner or anything. My second thought was... a chocolate shoe... who does that? I of course was honored to be the recipient of that shoe but I was baffled. I didn't even know that they made shoes like this. They make SHOES out of chocolate? I still can't get over it. I wanted to laugh out loud it was so funny to me. The funniest part was that several people who saw the shoe get delivered just ooooed and ahhhhhed over it's presence. They said things like, I couldn't bring myself to eat that, I would just have to set it out and look at it it's so beautiful. Which to me sounds like the kind of thing someone might say if they stay in a lot.




So yeah we held onto it for a while.. and then we ate it. And I do apologize for wearing the same shirt as I was on my birthday. I just love that shirt, this picture was taken at least a week later ;)

Gosh that shoe was yummy.


But really. A chocolate shoe? Do they make chocolate socks to go with them? I think this must be one of those southern things that I really just don't understand. I mean.. thanks for the shoe..?


2 comments:

  1. Maybe this originated with the same folks who dreamed up cakes that look like hats... or those fresh fruit arrangements designed to look like bouquets of flowers... or watermelons cut to look like baskets... or whales.

    Maybe there's a book somewhere, the Emily Post book of masquerading food. "Rules for masquerading food: Send a fruit 'flower' bouquet to someone recovering from hernia surgery. The watermelon basket is for wedding showers and the watermelon whale for baby showers. The chocolate shoe is, of course, for an unexplained absence from a musical gathering (classical music only)."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on Mom! I'm so glad that I have someone like you in my life to explain these things to me :)
    Watermellon that looks like a whale? Really? And the edible arrangements flower/fruit thing runs rampant here in Alabama. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete