Thursday, August 27, 2009

You can't judge a book by it's cover

I had this bright idea for a journal post yesterday after someone bought a Richard Clayderman book at work. We had this single sheet 'Ballade pour Adeline' that we kept selling so our music buyer decided to order a "Best Of" book. This book has the most gosh awful cover ever. It's old, outdated, tacky, and we make fun of it all the time. The weirdest part about this is that the music inside of it is AMAZING! Richard Clayderman was the shiz! I mean, he still is... his picture is just a little bit too 1970's for my taste. We have pondered why he doesn't change the cover to a more updated picture? Which makes me wonder why the publisher doesn't update the cover. I really think that more people would buy this book if it had a different cover. Another question would be this, is this book only popular in our part of the country? I just can't believe it. I mean, I've played through it, I loved it, and everyone is just like me right?

Point is, buy this book, it's awesome, but maybe paste some other picture over the cover after you do. ;)


Now I don't want to be seen as the chick that picks on only one person, so I have found another horibble cover but in this case I do not know first hand if the music is any good. So you're just going to have to listen to me talk about how bad the covers are. Richard Clayderman is a pretty good looking guy, even in his old age, that's right, I looked him up on the internet. THERE ARE BETTER PICTURES, MORE RECENT PICTURES I swear. But this other dude just doesn't look very attractive to me. This may just be my personal opinion, and I'm entitled to that, but all these book covers scare me just a tiny bit.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce you to.... David Lanz.

He looks very thoughtful and honestly he sort of reminds me of John Malkovich which is a good thing, I like John Malkovich. But there is this tiny tiny part of me that says... don't open this book up Carrie, go look at the Enya stuff instead, she's safe and inviting.

You can't judge a book by it's cover especially if it's Richard Clayderman, and I've heard that David Lanz has great music, Dancing on the Berlin Wall is supposed to be amazing... I'm just wishing that the cover matched the book. But hey, I was a pretty funky looking girl in my teenage years and look how wonderful I turned out :) You just never know!

6 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. How does any published let them get away with putting their own pics on the cover??? I mean, ok, Richard was cute in the 70's and maybe still...

    But Riff Raff HAS to go. He also kind of reminds me of Dracula in Castlevania. Way too creepy. I hope his music sounds all polergeisty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing so hard at that cover. I love it. I don't think they should change a thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ya, I also have to add that a few months back I got inspired to learn how to play the piano...or actually teach myself how to play (we own a piano that is a way antique piano that was restored after burning in some church like 100 years ago, seriously), so I went on Amazon.com and ordered this book and it also had the most '70's cover ever. Maybe it's a music book thing. I can't paste a picture of the cover here (I tried) but it's called "Easy Adult Piano Beginner's Course" and the lady has the worst blush ever!

    By the way, I still can't play the piano. The book sucked. Or at least I don't think it's for my style of learning :) My husband is putting my piano playing right up there with my Quilt making for Dummies book. I also don't sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Greta, that cover is amazing! I love the Dirty Dancing font and that the piano looks like a keyboard. HAHAHA

    PS, Carrie, my Castlevania reference was more for Jaime than you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rennai - I watched Jaime do everything and all things Caslevania, I totally got it, but I'll pass it along to Jaime for ya :)
    Greta - Holy Moses that picture of the lady is bad. It should have gone into this post as well! I'm so sorry that piano playing isn't for you but you trying to learn from a book like that.. lol, VERY funny. You should try Alfred Adult Piano or Faber and Faber Adult Piano, those seem pretty trustworthy and they don't have funky covers, I swear!
    You guys are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete