Sunday, May 30, 2010

We got back from our beach vacation late last night. It seems to be a theme with Jaime and me to drive to places late in the evening. It was much better in the long run, to drive late last night than to drive in today. It meant that we got an entire day to catch up on things, do all our laundry, and Jaime can connect back with his video games.



If I tried to retell the past week's events we would be here for a very long time. Basically we went to the beach. Edisto Beach in South Carolina. A vacation spot that I've been to a few times as a little girl (we actually found the beach house we stayed in almost 20 years ago). I think this will be one of those vacations that is better the more I look back on it. It didn't seem to really sink in while we were there. It could have been that Jaime didn't like the beach so I never got to lay out in the sun with him, but I didn't want to put him in misery.


We all rode bikes. Took the dogs to the beach. Churchill got to swim. Played a mean game of Axis and Allies, turned some tricks in Spades. Jaime and I spent an evening in Charleston. I found out that I like crab but still don't like shrimp. We ate at a local dive called Whaleys and had drinks at the Pavillion listening to a live band with a very effeminate lead guitarist/biker who's only dance move was to shimmy... We went crabbing, Jaime almost got hooked by a fisherman with little control over his pole. We ate at the local fireman's fish fry.





There were lots of things that we did but the best part was simply being with my family. The hardest thing of all is driving away from my mother and father as we head back home. I cry almost every time we leave (not in front of them, but quietly on our way out of town. It's such an intense part of the trip for me and I hate having it come so soon. But it's a good thing I cry isn't it? It's good because it means that my parents are that important to me.

We got home and I had yellow squash and zucchini waiting for me. My first squashes yet! We're going to eat them tonight.. there might be too much :)



My Mom and I are talking about getting into cleaner eating. She was reading the book In Defense of Food, and I thought it might be a good idea to eat less processed stuff so we might start a project this summer, or part of it. I mean, what am I going to do without mac and cheese? Candy? I'll go into more detail as I research it. I think this week will be devoted to researching and getting ideas. Food food food. Food!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpMIFtdeOSU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBFfTUW1df4


Those are some videos of Churchill swimming in the ocean and Huxley eating some crab legs.

1 comment: