Wednesday, May 12, 2010



I always seem to have lots of pictures of my plants. I'm usually really bad about taking pictures and posting them to facebook or blogspot. I'm usually really bad about taking pictures period. But plants don't really go anywhere and they aren't an event that I forgot to take my camera to. So I suppose that it's easiest for me to take pictures of them instead of people or places. Besides, most of these guys I started from seed so they're my big project (besides quilting) that I'm working on this summer.
This one up here is supposed to be Okra. I'm not sure if that's what Okra looks like in it's beginner stages or not but I planted Okra seeds and this is what came up. I've had an infestation of aphids and worms lately and the Okra has suffered a bit. I'm hoping that it won't stunt their growth. Lauren came by and lent me some of her organic bug spray for veggies. So I'm pretty sure that they are all dead (I checked today and yeah, they're gone) I just hope that it doesn't slow them down at all.



Some people are supposed to come by this week to power wash the back porches where all my veggies are. I got nervous and moved half of them to my front steps. These are my four pots of Cantaloupe. I don't need four pots of the stuff but when you buy the little baby plants at the store they come in sets of like.. nine! So I planted these and gave the rest away to a friend. They are supposed to vine up so I'm thinking that I'll leave them here if they're happy and they can climb the railing.




This monster has grown double over night. It is really really amazing how quickly it grows. Now if it will only give me some beans that I can eat! I don't quite know what to do with it now that it's grown over the top of my teepee. I'm hoping that it will double back down? Or just hang out? I'm not sure.
The car in the background is the car of our new neighbors. It's scary to me that they have an identical sunflower wreath on their door. I don't know if Austin and Sarah left theirs or our neighbors are just.. twins of theirs.. And even if they left it behind. It's strange to see it up there. Also the new guys are from TN and on their plate it tells the county. Campbell county. No joke. Some people have different ways of coping with loss. Mine is spying.




Someday soon I hope to have Zinnias. Whatever those blue flowers are they took over the red pot. I'm fine with that I just wanted some color up near our door. And some strawberries but that was just a shot in the dark. No strawberries just lots and lots of leaves. Leaves wilting in the day time heat. Alabama heat.



This little guy was a really pretty flower like these guys below. I'm hoping that underneath those petals is a tiny baby bell pepper.





Thanks to Lindsey I have Basil in a Boot. It was from the Dirty Santa party we had, Black Christmas. I put water in it this past winter and it slowly emerged. Now it's finally getting big enough for me to actually consider putting it into a legitimate pot. Not that the Christmas boot isn't cute. It's just that it's May. Can you believe we're almost half way to another Christmas? Time really does go by faster when you get older.



We're going to be feasting on Yellow Squash soon! I can't wait! I check this guy out every single day. Sometimes three or four times a day. I make Jaime come outside and look at him too. I have the dogs come by and check him out. I'm so excited that I have a largish edible thing growing on my back porch.


This is I think the biggest "Zucchini" that I have right now. Not looking too hot. I don't know if Zucchini take longer to develop than the Yellow Squash but it doesn't seem to be in any hurry to get here. Too bad squash is one of my favorite veggies. Too bad.


Worms ate through lots of my Brussels. Thanks to Laurodauro they are all dead. I just don't' know if my Brussels can make it through. All the holes in their leaves.


Tomatoes! And yes I am using pipe cleaner to hold the tomato to the steak. I'm a genius.

Today I'm trying to get things done but I've been totally wiped out due to a migraine. Why migraines come on your day off I'm not exactly sure but I think it's just more proof that evil exists. It's gone due to Rx and Moe's. Moe's should probably be a prescription in and of itself. So now that it's almost 4:00 and my husband will be home soon I'm ready to get started on some general cleaning up. Laundry most importantly!

Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. "Some people have different ways of coping with loss. Mine is spying."

    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so impressed with your vegetables. I have two tomato plants this year with blooms on them. And I have several basil plants. I would love squash and beans, but maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just heard on Rachel Ray that carbs help PMS (up seratonin somehow). Thought of you. There's apparently more info. on her website for 6/1/10. (And I was at the gym on the cycle thingy when I saw this, not at home w/ the shades pulled eating ice cream - just so you know.)

    ReplyDelete