Tuesday, May 18, 2010

It turns out that my yellow squash was not pollinated well enough. I guess that's what I get for being a rookie at squash growing. We have a lack of bees, back porch or front porch, so I've been pollinating by hand. I've googled some videos about it and feel much more prepared this time around. I'm learning so much about veggies though. It's really amazing. I mean, who knew that female squash actually look like a substantial veggie BEFORE they are even pollinated? Who knew? And who knew that bell peppers don't need that? Or do they? Oh my oh my. Tomatoes.. apparently they are pollinated much easier than squash.
I'm making myself crazy here. However, I learn by doing.

I'm reading Madeline L'Engle's book A Circle of Quiet and it's so inspirational. This book is by far better than any devotional book I've ever read. I was reading through Streams in the Desert devotional and it got to the point where I felt like it was pushing an agenda on me. God is bigger than agendas. He is bigger than all things except himself :) Madeline L'Engle is such a balanced person and I find myself understanding more about my personal ideas and opinions as well as the world around me than I ever have by simply reading her books. She is also making me really want to have an old house in the country. My vegetables are also making me want an old house in the country as well.

Last night Huxley and Churchill (though I expect mostly Huxley) ate an entire bowl full of little biscuits. I thought they were up to no good and when I called them Churchill simply looked adolescent while Huxley had an entire biscuit in his mouth. We leave for the beach in a few days and I couldn't be more excited to see what the puppies do with the ocean and the sand. I have a feeling that they will enjoy running around on softer things than hard ground but will not enjoy the water. I will have to take lots of pictures. Lots of pictures. And I will also have to bake cookies, lots of cookies! And eat fish :) Seafood! I don't even like seafood and I'm excited. Maybe it's just time for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment