Monday, March 8, 2010

The veggies are growing at such a fast rate. I'm so excited! There is something so fulfilling about growing things from the ground. This morning my husband came down to the kitchen and said "You have more sprouts! The whole left side is growing!". I keep them in the study where they get a fair amount of direct sunlight but are still protected.
This weekend my friend Lauren came over and helped me transplant the Zucchini, Yellow Squash, and Swiss Chard. They are such little plants in such big containers! Since we don't have much of a yard but a huge back porch I've decided to grow the veggies in containers, don't worry I won't cram them. I'll prune back when I see which ones are going to be the strongest. I am nervous for the Swiss Chard, it looks so frail in the pots but it isn't dying so I guess it's just doing what it needs to do. I'm also hoping that we planted the squashes deep enough. I might go back and add some more soil on top to protect those tender little stems! Those are outside while I'm at work today in a sunny location. It's going to be 70 outside can you believe it?! Those plants are going to love it. Oh and I figured I'd buy some tomatoes so I got two starters at the store and put them in hanging baskets, I'm hoping that they will learn to hang down instead of growing straight up. I'm not sure how to do that yet..
I've also planted an Azalea bush in front of our townhouse, it's really small still but is in the perfect spot in front of a very large bush/tree of some sort. When it gets bigger it will look really nice. A few months ago they had to replace some wood on the front of our townhouse and when they did that they put this big machine in our yard space which left a nasty tire print. This weekend I also filled that in with dirt from planting the Azalea. I planted some flowers in a pot in front of our door and the ivy that made it through the winter (flourished actually) is in another pot with some Zinnia sprouts. Those dang Zinnia sprouts caused me a lot of heartache! When they were growing they got moldy and I had to throw many of them away. So if they can't make it through this week I'm not too sorry for them, I'll plant something else with the ivy.

So that's a lot of planting :) Upstairs we have sprouts for Bell Peppers (lots of sprouts) a few sprouts of Turnip Greens, some sort of flower that hasn't sprouted yet, the Mustard Greens haven't sprouted yet either... and Chinese Lanterns which are sprouting. In a few weeks I'll be able to start Green Beans, Okra and some others that I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm really hoping that I can keep the green thumb going that I seem to have right now. Jaime doesn't think I have much of a green thumb because I killed the philodendron that I had in the hanging baskets.. but that was because I left them out when it froze over night. I had heard that they were hearty and you could never kill them so I figured.. stay outside what do I care. They died. But other than that I've had a really good track record! I mean look at all my little seedlings :) I should take more pictures for you to see soon before things change too much. I hope we have enough veggies to give away!

Spring seems to be on it's way in Alabama. This whole week isn't supposed to get lower than the mid fifties (at least during the day time that is). I can't wait to see what next week will have for us. Next week is our Spring Break from teaching. I'm not sure how much of a Spring Break it will be since it looks like I'll be working full time at the music store but it will be relaxing.. I suppose. I've been trying to get a trip going to visit my cousins but I'm not too sure how that's going to pan out. So if we don't go up to Tennessee then I guess we'll have to think of something fun to do to celebrate not teaching for a week. Hiking? Camping? Grilling out? I can just see Jaime's face when he reads this, he's going to be like.. Camping? No. Way.

My quilting projects are moving right along. I've finally decided more details about the next endeavor and that has helped me relax about it a whole lot more. I've really got to start sewing together the boarder for the large quilt I'm doing right now. When will I find the time to do this!?

Since the Academy Awards were last night it looks like Jaime and I need to rent the Hurt Locker.

No comments:

Post a Comment