Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I woke up early this morning. At first I was going to go to the gym but like many mornings I talked myself out of it. Who wants to get up at 6am when they don't HAVE to. By the time 7:30 rolled around I had hit snooze about a million times and Huxley had found his favorite wake up spot nestled near my chin and licking my face every time he sees my eyes open. Sometimes I can fake him out by squinting to see if he's awake but if I ever get my eyes fully open, just for a second, I get kisses. I love his morning kisses but they also mean that there is no chance of getting back to sleep. So instead of waiting until 8am to roll out of bed I got up at 7:30 and took the dogs on a walk around our townhouse complex.
I noticed a few things about our dogs while I was walking them. Specifically about how they go to the bathroom. I don't know why I hadn't noticed before, maybe this morning I was extra awake and attentive. Churchill loves to mark every tree, rock, pile of mulch, you name it. It's his. Huxley is a much more private and long lasting marker. More like, he finds a place that's kinda hidden away and he won't let his leg down until it's all gone. It takes a surprisingly long time for such a little dog. I also realized it was the same way with the poops! Huxley hid behind a building and if I hadn't watched him I wouldn't have realized what he was doing (with our dogs you have to watch them and make sure they go or else they'll make messes inside.. it happened yesterday). Churchill on the other hand will find the most open and most public place to make his poops. He'll also make sure the he makes his poops when cars drive by, or neighbors are walking around. It's almost embarrassing. I also saw Churchill almost pee on Huxley's face. He's very inconsiderate.
Here I am talking about my dogs pee and poo like you really want to know about it. But I thought it was interesting this morning, before I had my coffee. Oh and I realized that everything that Churchill does, Huxley has to do. I watched Huxley approach a neighbor getting out of their car. He was so sweet and curious and the neighbor smiled. Then Churchill realized what was going on and erupted in a series of loud barks that Huxley immediately copied. The neighbor quit smiling. Why!? Why do they do that. They are like car alarms that go off at the most inopportune time and you're stuck fumbling your keys trying to figure out how to make it stop! But I do love them. I really do.

My husband and I work late during most days of the week. We love teaching. LOVE teaching. But when 7:30 or 8pm comes around.. it's dinner time. In a big way. Last night I got home before Jaime so I started on dinner. We got a new kind of Hamburger Helper, Sloppy Joe, and that is what was on the menu for Monday. I was excited because Hamburger Helper is comfort food for me. And what's not to love after a long Monday at 8pm when you're more than just hungry, you're starving? The only problem was that it smelled bad. Like ketchup soup. It looked funny and all the sudden I began to miss Cheeseburger Macaroni so much my stomach hurt. Jaime came home and we taste tested and found out that it really did taste as badly as it smelled. I ran around to see what else we could make. Shoot! We ran out of milk. How could we run out of milk? I couldn't make anything filling or decent that didn't include milk (I don't know why that was, probably because I was delirious with hunger). So we set out to decide where we want to eat. I said, we don't have any money in our eating out budget. Jaime says, I'm hungry and I'm not going to wait to eat. I said.. you're right. I'm hungry too.

We went through the list of where we wanted to eat, Habaneros, Moes, Sol Azteca (what we aren't in the mood for Mexican, what's wrong with us?), Burger King, McDonalds, Purple Onion, Mandarin House... it was 8:15 by this time. Chic-fil-a.. yes! YES! That is indeed where we want to eat, no, wait, Saigon Noodle House. Jaime pressures me into going on an "adventure". I consent. He's rarely if ever in the mood to do something spontaneous. Saigon Noodle House it is. I'm not in the mood for soup so I'm hoping they have some rice. It's an Asian restaurant, they've got to have rice. And they did, with a really healthy dinner of stir fried veggies and chicken. Jaime fed me a jalapeno that I thought was a green bell pepper (seeds and all) and because of that he owed me a milk shake.

What an amazing night. Because the Hamburger Helper was bad I got a great dinner, ate a jalapeno that tasted exactly like burning, and a milkshake. I also got to watch Jaime eat cow's stomach and that also went into my reasoning that he owed me a milkshake. Tripe, who on earth thought that up. Oh I'll cut open this cow's stomach and cook it, yum. Gross. We ended up shutting down the Saigon Noodle House as we were the last customers to leave. We went across the street to Chi-fil-a for the milkshake and got a loud "Congratulations Mr. Black, you're our last customer of the day". When do you shut down two restaurants in the same night?! What adventurers we are!

Tonight is an equally long night for both of us. I have to teach until late and then I get to go to the New Moon DVD release party at Laurens. I have to be honest and say that I could care less about seeing New Moon for the 4th time. It is an enjoyable movie, it indulges all of the parts of me that are a woman, especially the part of me that just wants to relax and watch a movie without thinking. Plus there will be Baker's Pizza, arguably the best pizza on earth, and I'll get to spend quality time with my friends. Jaime however has a much more stressful day. He's been going through lots of interviews for a new job lately. No he's not laid off. The research grant he's been working with is ending (it was only due to last four years and now those years are over) and Jaime's been looking around at other research positions. He thinks he's found the job he wants to do and is going to meet the rest of the research team today over lunch. I know he's nervous but I also know that he'll do a fantastic job. After all that nerve racking stuff with lunches out with the team (be impressive!) and then meeting with the doctor that is running the whole operation to discuss the 'details' he has to go to traffic school until 10pm. While I'm watching Edward almost get eaten alive by the Volturi Jaime will be listening to why it's good to use your blinker and stop and stop signs. We all mess up. I had to go to traffic school last year for a ticket. I just hope that he will have had really really good news before he leaves to learn about how to drive like a human. I'm sure he will, he's amazing.

Tomorrow is going to be my second ever Wednesday to myself. Oh boy am I excited. I have lofty plans of running intervals over 3 miles to help with my speed and breathing. Finishing the boarder on the quilt I'm working on (which honestly could end me at JoAnns getting more fabric) and just laying around and being amazing all day long. Taking a long bath, talking to my little plants (half of which are dead and half of which are FANTASTIC.. we can't all be winners you know). I'm sure I'll end up cleaning something. Last time I had Wednesday to myself I cleaned my bedroom and my was it nice to sit in there are sew. SO nice! Sew nice :)

Whew it's time to get back to work, or to reading Catcher in the Rye. I'm not finished with it yet so don't spoil anything but besides the language and the fact that serial killers liked the book I'm not sure what's so controversial about it. I guess I'll find out when I finish it. Maybe he's insane? Maybe he's dying? Maybe he ends up killing someone? Oh boy I can't wait to read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment