Sunday, February 14, 2010

I know lots of people think that this Valentine's Day was the best Valentine's Day yet, but this one I think tops my list so far. I was thinking back to previous Valentine's Days that I've had, specifically ones with my husband. The first one we had together was three days after he proposed to me. I honestly don't remember what we did but I'm sure it was special. I'm also sure it couldn't one up a proposal, so that's probably why I don't remember it. The next one I had the flu, I had to stay at home from work and I was trying desperately to make those little bowls made of chocolate that my Mom used to make. You dip small balloons in warm (NOT HOT) chocolate, half way up, and let them dry, dip them again, etc. Then when they dry you pop the balloon and peel away. I had so many balloons pop in my face that being covered in chocolate, Churchill being covered in chocolate, our kitchen being covered in chocolate, and having the flu at the same time, I cried. And I cried, and I cried. Massive fail. Last Valentine's was special because we ran our first 5k ever! It was actually really special to do something like that together. Afterward we went out and got Thai food downtown that was absolutely delicious.

This year was special because we gave very thoughtful gifts to each other. There were actually two gifts given by each of us, not even meaning to. Jaime cooked me dinner. He grilled out flank steak and asparagus. We never eat steak, it was such a treat! The dinner was wonderful :) His other gift, the real gift to me, was that he would do one chore once a week for the next six months. I'm not sure where the six month time frame came from, but it was even more wonderful than the dinner. I've been trying to get some free time to talk about being stressed out and finding ways to keep my stress low, or manage it, and this is a huge part of it. I'm always feeling like there is something that is behind in cleaning. I don't know why I'm so stressed by it, another entry could be devoted to figuring that out. Jaime was very thoughtful, he knew that I had been having a difficult time stress wise and he gave me the perfect gift. He did specify that I shouldn't pick laundry or else he might ruin all our clothes (I do all the laundry... though I sometimes make him put his away). So I picked the bathrooms. I still have to clean my sink area, but today he cleaned out the shower, toilet, even the floors and the half bath downstairs. Such a weight off my shoulders! For the next six months every Sunday I will have freshly cleaned bathrooms :)
I bought a bunch of different candies, even Sour Patch Kids and laid them out on the table with candles and a pink table runner (it's actually a fat quarter.. don't tell!) So this afternoon after our dinner we snacked on chocolates and sweet tarts. My other part of the present was given on Saturday and I'll let your imagination run wild, sorry kids, it's between Jaime and me. What? It's Valentine's Day.
It was such a good weekend because our gifts were very important to the other person. They didn't cost anything but meant so much to the other person. It was also such a good weekend because our plans worked exactly as we wanted, not a hitch in sight. I also got two naps in, one yesterday and one today! How perfect is that?
We're about to eat a pizza and watch Harry Potter!! I recently finished book 6 and figured I'd catch up in the movie department and get movie 2 out of the way. I know I'm WAY behind on reading and watching all these movies, but I'm enjoying them none the less. And yes I think I've seen movies 1-4 before, it's just been a long time. Plus I can't wait to hear the accents :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Cleaning the bathrooms may actually be the best gift of all time. And I'm very serious.

    ReplyDelete