Monday, February 22, 2010

I have a delima readers. I'm working on a quilt for a dear dear friend who's getting married this summer (yay!) and I'm trying to figure out how to quilt it. I have enough time to do some quilting by hand if I wanted to. The wedding isn't until June and I've almost got the top completed. My Aunt Nancy has been a huge help, quilting the last quilt that I made for my friend Lindsey. And although I would gladly ask her help on this one as well I have started thinking... it's possible for me to learn how to do this myself right? I know I'm young and I haven't been quilting very long and this would be my first large quilting project. But I think I could do it.

I've been reading the blogs of other quilters in the Birmingham area. Many of them recently went on a retreat and one of them, Pipkin House, posted the different machines that the quilters were using. I've since become inspired. To be honest I've quilted small things like pot holders (once again, an Aunt Nancy inspiration!) and I've even done a quilt for a friend in college by hand, but it was much simpler and only a twin, not a queen! So, if these other quilters are using these machines to make amazing things, why can't I?

Here's what I'm working with.
http://www.laurelauction.com/0330s%20Singer%20Featherweight.JPG
Quilters out there, shouldn't I be able to quilt with this machine? Any advice? The quilt I'm working on has potential to do some straight line patterns on each block, which I know my Singer can handle. It does straight lines like nobody's business.

1 comment:

  1. Although I've been hand quilting since my 20s (and am pretty good at it), I'm the world's worst machine quilter. Can do very small projects in straight lines, that's all. Good luck. I know you can do it, Carrie.

    ReplyDelete