Sunday, January 10, 2010

So first off: GROCERIES! I'm not going to list out everything that I bought because that's awfully redundant. But I will say that we spent right at $56. This is huge for two reasons, first because we bought $10 worth of paper towels, and because I have awesome menu's planned for this week. Pot Roast with a side of veggies, Chicken Cheese and Broccoli Casserole with Zucchini and Potato Bake, the obvious pizza night, Venison Tips with veggies and rice, you get the picture. It's really nice to look forward to good meals. The one I don't want to eat is the pot roast, for no good reason either. Oh and I also got all the stuff to try to make fudge, we'll see how that turns out after it's finished cooling. Something about getting to the hard ball stage? I just know I tried not to make a big mess.

It's freezing here in Alabama, and that is no light statement. It was so cold yesterday that my car door wouldn't open. Plus it snowed and even though it didn't really stick it made the roads icy enough for them to put sand on the roads near where we live. Work closed early and opened late the next day. I brought in my philodendron to try to save them from the cold and I'm not sure I saved much. It's such a strange plant! I have a feeling that there is a lot more alive under the ground than above it so we'll see in a few weeks, they are hanging above the sink draining from being watered.

Jaime told me that when it gets warmer he's going to help me build a vegetable garden on the back porch. We have this huge back porch, 15x16 or something like that. I've read about raised vegetable gardens before and since we're planning on staying here for a while I think it would be a great idea. Here's a website that talks a little bit about it: http://www.frameitall.com/rvgsqr2st.html I'm really excited about it. The last frost will happen some time in early April so I might start some seeds in March or late February depending on what I plant. I would love to have tomatoes, spinach, maybe some sorts of squash or pepper, and I would also love to have some more herbs. Oh and blackberries!

I've been thinking a lot about the purpose of life lately, deep issue I know. Specifically the purpose of the years Jaime and I have right now before us and what to do with them. We had a talk last night about our working situation and what we could do to amplify it. I thought about it for a while. We have very specific goals in mind, pay off our debt, our car, save up a good amount in our savings account in case something happens. I questioned several things about my job situation specifically. Just think of how much faster we could achieve these goals if I changed my job, worked let's say, as a secretary in some law firm or something? I have that versus staying in jobs that I love for people that I care about. We talked through it and I know that there are more options but it brought up a very good question. We're still in our 20's, we have the ability to work simply to make money to get ready for bigger things, a family, a house etc. We have the rest of our lives to live out our dream jobs. So what's more important? I could be selfish I keep doing what I have been doing, or I could sacrifice and truly be a help mate to my husband by pitching in a little bit more. I won't talk about it too much more because we really haven't come to any conclusions but I'm excited to think about what I'm capable of. I know that the work I do doesn't add up to as much money as what Jaime makes. I think that I've always thought of that as the norm since I don't know many people where the wife makes more money than the husband, but for our goals.. that doesn't mean that we can't do that. And it doesn't mean that for right now, while I'm able, I can't work a little bit more. What a good conversation to have at the beginning of a new year!

I feel kinda badly for thinking about money and marriage the way I have. That it's ok for me to not make as much money as Jaime and that that's the way it's supposed to be. I made the excuse that if we're going to have children someday that I won't be making any money because I'll stay home to help raise them. But looking back at that idea it seems so silly! That doesn't mean that I can't make more money now. We aren't planning on having children this year or even next year, so that gives me at least two years to try to make as much money as I can to help hold the burden of not working. Jaime said last night that it's a dream of mine to stay at home and raise our children and it is. He said that I should help make that a reality for both of us by working more and making more money now while I can. Boy does that logic make sense :) Leaving the entire financial burden on my husband is totally unfair and what help mate of a wife wants to do that? I'm not saying that we don't make enough money right now or that I don't work over 40 hours a week right now because I do. I guess what I'm saying is that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and knowing that we are that much closer to our goals makes me that much more excited. Jaime's work will be changing this summer as his grant ends for the lab he's working in now. I'm excited to see where we will end up at the end of 2010, but I'm even more excited to be a team with him, to work together to meet our goals.

Ok enough seriousness, it's time to check my fudge!

No comments:

Post a Comment